    SubjectRe: Crusoe's performance on linux?
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Samphan Raruenrom <>
    In newsgroup:
    > Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
    > > Could you a test just for me? Take vanilla 2.4.21 and then
    > > make oldconfig; make dep; time make bzImage
    > > That's basically what I want to know how long will take, since
    > > it's one of the most common time consuming tasks the thing will
    > > have to handle.
    > Done! Here're the results:-
    > Desktop - Pentium III 1 G Hz 754 MB -> 10.x min.
    > Tablet PC - Crusoe TM5800 1 GHz 731 MB -> 17.x min.
    > From freshdiagnos benchmack, the TPC has about 2x faster RAM.
    > I use tmpfs for the whole process so disk speed didn't count.
    > Both test run without X or any foreground process using
    > 2.4.21-ac1 and RedHat kernel.

    For what it's worth, we have been completely unable to reproduce these
    kinds of results at Transmeta; our results are in fact very consistent
    with the numbers reported by some people for the Sharp MM-10 "Kitty"
    which is also a 1 GHz TM5800; all of them have been in the 10 minute

    I have written a script to try to give a consistent compile benchmark;
    however, one still needs to make sure that DMA is turned on (hdparm -d
    /dev/hda); obviously, the compiler etc should not be on NFS.

    The timed portion (make -j3 bzImage) part of this script takes
    10m15.035s real time (user 9m10.890s, sys 0m43.350s) on my 1067 MHz
    Crusoe prototype system (256MB SDR, 256MB DDR, ATA33 disk) -- don't
    have TC1000 Tablet PC numbers yet, but I have asked someone to run it
    -- running RedHat 9 including distro kernel and gcc 3.2.2. It
    produced a bzImage file that's 1151608 bytes long when I ran it.

    Note that it uses "make -j3" for the bzImage, and so aren't really
    comparable to your times listed above.

    You obviously need to point the KERNEL variable at a suitable copy of
    linux-2.4.21.tar.gz. The script needs to run as root in order to
    create the tmpfs.

    <> at work, <> in private!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.030 / U:8.004 seconds]