    SubjectRe: [RFC] My research agenda for 2.7
    Date
    On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03:10, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 02:47, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > >> Per struct address_space? This is an unnecessary limitation.
    >
    > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 03:07:18AM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > > It's a sensible limitation, it keeps the radix tree lookup simple.
    >
    > It severely limits its usefulness. Dropping in a more flexible data
    > structure should be fine.

    Eventually it could well make sense to do that, e.g., the radix tree
    eventually ought to evolve into a btree of extents (probably). But making
    things so complex in the first version, thus losing much of the incremental
    development advantage, would not be smart. With a single size of page per
    address_space, changes to the radix tree code are limited to a couple of
    lines, for example.

    But perhaps you'd like to supply some examples where more than one size of
    page in the same address space really matters?

    > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 02:47, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > >> This gives me the same data structure proliferation chills as bh's.
    >
    > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 03:07:18AM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > > It's not nearly as bad. There is no distinction between subpage and base
    > > struct page for almost all page operations, e.g., locking, IO, data
    > > access.
    >
    > But those are code sanitation issues. You need to make sure this
    > doesn't explode on PAE.

    Indeed, that is important. Good night, see you tomorrow.

    Daniel

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.021 / U:0.036 seconds]