SubjectRe: Which driver for the 3C940 / 3C2000?
Hi

Karim wrote:
> Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> > I am a bit confused about which driver a need for my onboard (Asus
> > P4C800 mobo) 3Com gigabit Ethernet controller. It should be a 3C940 but
> > sometimes it's called 3C2000. I found a driver at the asus site which
> > compiles and works with some kernel versions. Is there a proper (open
> > source) kernel driver for this chip? It seems that the tg3 driver
> > support some type of 3C940 but not mine.
> >
> > lspci -n gives:
> >
> > 02:05.0 Class 0200: 10b7:1700 (rev 12)
> >
> > This chip is also currently not defined in pci_ids.h (2.4 and 2.5)
>
> I've got a P4C800DX-2.4GH-HT and have run into similar issues. I tried

I have similar setup.

> using the 3C2000 driver shipped by ASUS on their "driver" CD, but that was
> a weird experience. The driver built and installed fine with the SMP
> kernel shipped with RedHat9. HOWEVER ... I could browse some web sites
> and not others (I'm still trying to figure out how this could be ...)
> Somehow, I could point konqueror to slashdot.org, kernel.org, motorola.com,
> yahoo.com, lwn.net, etc. and see the pages, but I was unable to visit intel.com,
> google.com, or amazon.com. I couldn't imagine this being a driver problem, so I
> tried all sorts of different things, but still had this weird behavior. Finally, I
> decided to put an 8139 with the same config, and that worked right away ... !?!

Ditto

> During my research about the 3C2000, I discovered that the driver
> shipped with the board is actually a variant of the code in
> drivers/net/sk98lin, with modified printks to display 3Com text instead of
> SysKonnect information:

Yep, its a SysKonnect chip.

> And it goes on for CNET and Linksys. Apparently, all these devices rely
> on the same core. However, a trivial adding of the appropriate vendor ID
> and device ID to the sk98lin in 2.4.21 resulted in an ooops at load time,
> so it isn't as straight forward as I would have liked it to be ...

Problem is rather that the drivers in the kernel really outdated.

> It'd be nice that the sk98lin driver already in Linux be modified to add
> support to the 3C940, albeit without the browsing weirdness ...

You can find the latest SysKonnect driver here:

http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk98lin.htm

It is only for 2.2 and 2.4 though.

I have 'ported' the latest version (6.10) and a previous version or two
to 2.5, but I had similar issues as you .... I could ping the boxen on
my network, but cannot ssh for instance - basically its as if it only
do icmp and rarely actually send/receive other data.
I have also mailed SysKonnect, but they told me to speak to 3COM :/

Anyhow, if somebody want my efforts in the 2.5 port to get it working,
ask. I however do not have time to struggle with it currently.

Regards,

--

Martin Schlemmer

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans