SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]
Date
Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw@ithnet.com> writes:

>Well Henning, question is: did you jump from W95/98 to XP? You should have
>followed the product flow according to the vendor:

>W95->W98->NT3->NT4->W2K->XP

That's BS. There is no "W98 -> NT3" jump. Fact is, that programs
written in 1995 for Win95 still run on XP. Without changes from my
side (I consider myself a sore (l)user on Windows who can hustle a
mouse and squish little images so that a text processor or a business
package appears. Never had any interest to do more with it).

I don't give a fscking hoot through how many loops the vendor had to
jump to make this possible. You simply can't do this with the current
linux distributions. I just pulled out my trustworthy old RedHat 4.2
(which was sometime released in Summer 1997; the Wayback Machine gave
me only Mar1997 for 4.1 and Dec1997 for 5.0) and guess how many of its
binaries still run on my RedHat-9 desktop here?

>Have you tried your apps on NT3/NT4? If they didn't work back _then_ you
>probably have exchanged them back then - which was the original intention of
>the whole story.

I tried NT4. Yes, the program in question (which is a quite complex
accounting and business program I'm using for ages) runs. So does
e.g. CorelDraw.

Backward compatibility is the mantra of successful software. Without
it, you simply won't accumulate an user base. You may want to read the
article by Pat Gelsinger (sp?) in the last c't magazine. He did talk
about processors, but software is the same thing. Look where the two
companies that did put this above everything else are (HW: Intel SW:
Microsoft)?

Regards
Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen INTERMETA GmbH
hps@intermeta.de +49 9131 50 654 0 http://www.intermeta.de/

freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire

--- Quote of the week: "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level, then beat you with experience." ---

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.167 / U:2.144 seconds]