SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:33:49 -0700
Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:

> All of this is problematic for open source based business models because
> if the product is truly open source then the vendor is standing on much
> shakier ground. What guarentee does the buyer have that the vendor will
> make it to next year and support the product? No matter how you slice it,
> it's a much higher risk equation for the buyer than a commercial choice.

Larry, sorry, but this is pure bs.

If a company survives has absolutely _zero_ to do with commercial or
non-commmercial give-away of products. Example: mysql, it's all about service
and none about selling a product.

And to give an example seen from another side:
I have a paper hanging on the wall, writes:

"What do you mean? We are a multi billion dollar company."

It was emailed to me years ago by someone from middle management from Commodore
International as an answer to a my complaint that exactly this management is
producing big bs in designing their product portfolio. 1,5 years later the
company was dead.
There is nothing like a guaranteed life for a company, no matter what it
_sells_. One thing that is heavily underestimated by analysts of all kinds is
that a company has _no_ life of its own. It is run by people, and _these_ are
important, and not the company, be it big or small.

Regards,
Stephan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.182 / U:0.228 seconds]