    SubjectRe: Crusoe's persistent translation on linux?
    > The translations are usually _better_ than statically compiled native
    > code (because the whole CPU is designed for speculation, and the static
    > compilers don't know how to do that), and thus going to native mode is not
    > necessarily a performance improvement.

    Would it be possible, (with relevant documentation), to tune the code
    morphing software for optimum performance of code generated by a
    specific compiler, though?

    If a particular version of GCC favours certain constructs and uses
    particular sets of registers for a given piece of code, couldn't we
    optimise for those cases, at the expense of others? Maybe a
    particular compiler doesn't use certain X86 instructions at all, and
    these could be eliminated altogether?

    It's not unlikely that an entirely open source system could have all
    code compiled with the same compiler, and so maybe we can use this to
    avoid implementing expensive corner cases in the CPU, because we're
    never going to trigger them.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.017 / U:8.468 seconds]