    SubjectRe: [OT] Re: Troll Tech [was Re: Sco vs. IBM]
    On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:12:17 -0300
    Werner Almesberger <wa@almesberger.net> wrote:

    > Larry McVoy wrote:
    > > These discussions always make me wonder if the open source crowd is ever
    > > going to realize it's reasonable to be friendly with commercial companies.
    >
    > The problem is that you can't trust a company. You may choose to
    > trust people who control or shape a company, but they may lose
    > that control, and then all bets are off.

    And that is exactly _the_ argument in this whole discussion. There seem to be
    people out there who want to make a living from _others_ _ancient_ work they
    bought for small bucks by sueing just about anyone.

    GPL has an inherent long-term strategy, you are talking of short-term, Larry.
    That does not match. If I am using only GPL-software I know I am able to use it
    as is in five years from now. If I depend on being nice to commercial
    companies, it may well turn out, that they are not being nice to me no matter
    what I do.
    In other words: it's all about being free or being dependant on goodwill.

    Greets to the land of the free and the home of the brave,
    Stephan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.025 / U:1.424 seconds]