    SubjectRe: [RFC] Breaking data compatibility with userspace bz2lib
    On Fri, 20 June 2003 16:27:24 -0400, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
    > Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > >On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 08:59:15PM +0200, J?rn Engel wrote:
    > >The big question is whether the bzip2 better compression is actually
    > >useful in a kernel context? Patches to do bzip2 for initrd, for
    > >example, have been around for ages:
    > >

    > Not to mention the more current ongoing work by Christian Ludwig for
    > 2.4.2x support at:

    Hmm, both of them are already behind my work, and I just started this
    week. :)

    Ok, this isn't fair as I mainly concentrated on the bzlib itself,
    jffs2 is likely the easiest user of compression in the kernel. No
    personal offense please.

    Jeff didn't copy lib/inflate.c, a horrible hack that has to go, so his
    patch is much better from that perspective. But he kept the bzlib
    pretty much verbatim, incl. _WIN32, functions working with FILE* and
    so on. Once you cut all that out, you start to see the real beauty of
    the bzlib, it is much nicer than the older zlib.

    Still, the blockSize100k part is just plain stupid and should die.

    Oh yes, thanks for the link. Didn't know that patch.

    To recognize individual spam features you have to try to get into the
    mind of the spammer, and frankly I want to spend as little time inside
    the minds of spammers as possible.
    -- Paul Graham

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.022 / U:78.280 seconds]