SubjectRe: 2.5.71 cardbus problem + possible solution
On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 16:38, mikpe@csd.uu.se wrote:
> Russell King writes:
> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:25:16PM +0200, mikpe@csd.uu.se wrote:
> > > 2.5.71 changed the name of the Yenta module from yenta_socket
> > > to yenta. In my case (Latitude with RH9 user-space), this
> > > prevented cardmgr from starting properly.
> > >
> > > Quick fix: add 'alias yenta_socket yenta' to /etc/modprobe.conf,
> > > or s/yenta_socket/yenta/ in the appropriate config file (but
> > > then you make multi-booting 2.4/2.5 more difficult).
> >
> > What do people want to do about this? I have no particular desire to
> > answer all those emails asking about this, so unless Dominik objects,
> > I think we should just rename "yenta.c" to "yenta_socket.c" so we have
> > back-compatibility.
> >
> > (This issue has appeared because yenta_socket.ko used to be created
> > by combining yenta.o with pci_socket.o. Since pci_socket.c no longer
> > exists, we create the module from yenta.c directly, so its now called
> > yenta.ko.)
>
> I'd prefer compatibility, if there are no technical reasons for
> breaking it. Reverting to the old name in 2.5.72 sounds like a
> good idea.

I must agree with. I think backwards compatibility is important if we
want widespread adoption of 2.6 from the beginning. But there's a
question I had in mind for long time: is cardmgr really needed? Isn't
hotplug more than enough to handle CardBus devices?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.031 / U:0.464 seconds]