    SubjectRe: ext[23]/lilo/2.5.{68,69,70} -- IDE Problem?
    Am Don, 2003-06-12 um 00.08 schrieb Andy Pfiffer:
    > On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 13:55, Andy Pfiffer wrote:

    > > > So I'm not the only one having this problem... I think I first saw this
    > > > with 2.5.68 but I'm not sure.
    > >
    > > Well, that makes two of us for sure.
    > >

    > > > My boot partition is a small ext3 partition on a lvm2 volume accessed
    > > > over device-mapper (I've written a lilo patch for that, but the patch is
    > > > working and) but I don't think that has something to do with the
    > > > problem.
    > > >
    > > > When syncing, unmounting and waiting some time after running lilo, the
    > > > changes sometimes seem correctly written to disk, I don't know when
    > > > exactly.
    > >
    > > My /boot is an ext3 partition on an IDE disk. My symptoms and your
    > > symptoms match -- wait awhile, and it works okay. If you don't wait
    > > "long enough" the changes made in /etc/lilo.conf are not reflected in
    > > the after running /sbin/lilo and rebooting normally.
    > >
    > > I have been unable to reproduce this on a uniproc system with SCSI
    > > disks.
    > >
    > > 2.5.67 seems to work in this regard as expected.
    > >
    > > > Could it be that the location of /boot/map is not written to the
    > > > partition sector of /dev/hda? Or not flushed correctly or something?
    > > >
    > > > After reboot the old kernel came up again (though it was moved to
    > > > vmlinuz.old).
    > >
    > > I don't know -- I haven't isolated it yet.
    > >
    > > Anyone else?
    >
    > I have taken another look at this, and can confirm the following:
    >
    > 1. 2.5.67 works as expected.
    > 2. 2.5.68, 2.5.69, and 2.5.70 do not.
    > 3. ext2 vs. ext3 for /boot: no effect (ie, .68, .69, .70 demonstrate the
    > problem independent of the filesystem used for /boot).

    I found out that flushb /dev/<boot_device> helps, syncing doesn't. Not
    100% sure if that's right, because right now I'm always doing both, but
    I remember having only synced before and that didn't help.

    > Relative to a 2.5.68 pure BK tree, the deltas from 2.5.67 to 2.5.68 are:
    > 1.971.76.10 /* 2.5.67 */
    > 1.1124 /* 2.5.68 */
    >
    > The patch exported by BK between these 2 revs is 297K lines ( a sizeable
    > haystack ). Any ideas about where I should dig for my needle first
    > would be welcomed...

    There don't seem to be too much changes in /drivers/block or /fs, mostly
    cleanups. I personally have no idea where to start, except trying out
    each -bk version inbetween. Hmmm. And I'm not going to do that now...
    :-/

    --
    Christophe Saout <christophe@saout.de>