SubjectRe: Strange load issues with 2.5.69/70 in both -mm and -bk trees.
On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 16:07, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Tom Sightler <ttsig@tuxyturvy.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, it seems that too many real-world applications are accidentally
> > > triggering this problem.
> > >
> > > Could you please run an strace of the boosted process, find out what it is
> > > doing to get itself boosted in this manner? Wait until things are in
> > > steady state and the process is boosted, then run `strace -tt <pid>' so we
> > > see the timing info.
> >
> > The strace was quite large so I have uploaded it to
> > http://tuxyturvy.com/strace-pluginserver.gz
> >

> Seems to be doing lots of small reads and writes. Maybe to a pipe. What
> is the system context switch rate while this is happening? From `vmstat
> 1'?

I just did a 10 second run, average was about 2000/sec, with a minimum
of around 1500/sec and a peak of 3700/sec.

With the rest of the system the same (same programs running, etc) but on
a page that doesn't use that particular plugin, the context switch rate
sits around 250/sec.

Would you like the actual full output from vmstat?

Later,
Tom

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:1.867 / U:0.020 seconds]