SubjectRe: ACPI conflict with USB
Sitat David van Hoose <davidvh@cox.net>:

> Stian Jordet wrote:
> > Sitat Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>:

> >>Have you tried the latest 2.5 kernels? I think this is fixed in 2.5.69
> >>for the majority of people. Also, does booting with "noapic" work for
> >>you?
> >

> > If it is supposed to have been fixed in 2.5.69, that must be the reason
> usb
> > stopped working with acpi on 2.5.69 for me. Worked fine with 2.5.68.
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105216850332081&w=2
> >
> > Only three days since I reported it, and you say it is fixed? Gee.
> >
> > David: The consensus on acpi-devel is to report it in bugzilla, and see
> what
> > happens.
>
> I'm using kernel 2.5.69-bk3 with this recent test. Booted with noapic,
> and I get thousands of lines of APIC errors. I still get the 'bulk_msg:
> timeout' with USB though.
> This hasn't ever worked for me. First tried with 2.5.54. I don't think I
> tried 2.5.68. Should I and see if it was something in a patch to 2.5.69?

Originally I never got usb to work with acpi, until one day I found out that
irq12 needed to be in use (!). If I booted with a ps/2 mouse, it worked perfect.
After some investigation, I found out that my BIOS had a setting for PS/2 mouse,
which were disabled, enabled and auto. Auto were the default. The irq 12 was
only reserved when there was a mouse at boot. If I set it at enabled, it always
reserved irq 12. After I found this out, usb worked perfect untill 2.5.69.

My motherboard is a Asus CUV266-DLS, Dual P3. Why irq12 has to be enabled, I
have never understood.

As a curiosity, I might tell you that when I boot my motherboard with MPS1.4
enabled, I have to disable the secondary ide port to get it to boot Linux. BUT,
when I do that, usb doesn't work (without acpi). So I have to use MPS1.1 and
have the secondary ide port enabled to get usb working without acpi. It was
better with 2.5.68 :( I guess this is just my motherboard being fscked up, but
other OS' boot fine, regardless of PS/2 mouse and/or secondary IDE port enabled.

Best regards,
Stian

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.054 / U:0.052 seconds]