    SubjectRe: WimMark I report for 2.5.69
    On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 03:41:50PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Runs: 1462.17 1005.78 1995.99
    > > This benchmark is sensitive to random system events.
    >
    > You can say that again.
    >
    > We need to understand why there is such variation. If we can do that,
    > then perhaps we can make those 1.0's and 1.5's go away.

    Some kernels run very very even. Others do not. I suspect that
    certain kernel behaviors and changes exacerbate the issues.

    > Is that a thing you can work on? One approach would be to vary parameters
    > (filesystem type, amount of memory, TCQ lengths, workload, whatever) and
    > see which ones the throughput is sensitive to.

    I can try. I'm currently trying to catch up to the
    state-of-the-penguin, as I also have some test patches from Nick to run.
    These runs take a while, and I've been busy as well.

    Joel

    --

    "Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart;
    and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."

    Joel Becker
    Senior Member of Technical Staff
    Oracle Corporation
    E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com
    Phone: (650) 506-8127

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.039 / U:1.120 seconds]