    SubjectRe: Using GPL'd Linux drivers with non-GPL, binary-only kernel
    Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 May 2003 02:21:25 MDT, Eric W. Biederman said:
    >
    > > Beyond that the whole closed thing is a turn-off. Which is likely to
    > > reduce interest in your research OS and get you no free feedback on
    > > the weird situations.
    >
    > The target kernel doesn't actually *have* to be closed. What if the
    > kernel running the Linux driver was some open-but-incompatible licence?

    Regarding Eric's point, I think it comes down to what captures the
    imagination of potential users. Even a GPL'd project is not likely to
    get much interest if it doesn't offer anything worth using.
    Conversely, see BeOS for something which was not ultimately a
    commercial success, but which captured the imagination of a lot of
    people despite being closed source.

    > I'll just pause to point out that the single most successful TCP stack
    > has to be the BSD one - which started off as DARPA-funded research, and got
    > lots of feedback in spite of its license.

    I disagree. Many of the most successful TCP stacks _forked_ from the
    BSD one at some time or other (e.g. SunOS, Microsoft), but then they
    evolved in their own directions, with their unique quirks.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.025 / U:91.396 seconds]