SubjectRe: Files truncate on vfat filesystem
Peder,

I think the problem that you are facing is because you umount the disk immediately after transferring the file. Though ls indicates that the file has been transferred, and the size match, the transfer would still be in progress behind the scene, and once you umount, and remove the USB disk, the data is lost, since the transfer was not complete. You are facing this problem randomly, depending on how long you wait after the transfer to remove the disk. This happens when you are transferring large files, and not while using small files. This will happen even when you are transferring large files from your CDs.
I hope this helps. Just wait for few seconds after the transfer is done, and you wont lose your data anymore.

Regards,
Sumit