SubjectRe: Why DRM exists [was Re: Flame Linus to a crisp!]
On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 04:25, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Well, vote with your wallet.

I said this is exactly what I intend to do.

And yes it is about being nice. If Linus wasn't "nice" nobody
would give a shit about his project and want to work with him
in the first place and Linux as we know it wouldn't exist today.

If Linus, like TIVO, said "ok you can hack my kernel, but you
can't ever boot one except the ones that I distribute and I'm going to
enforce this by signing the kernels and not giving out the bootloader
sources nor the keys I use" nobody would hack on Linux. He could
certainly "do it", but he "didn't". He "didn't" because that would
be "stupid".

You can say whatever you want about Linus, and while he is firm in his
decisions he is still "nice".

Nothing in my email is about what I think TIVO "has to do".

--
David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>