    SubjectRe: Kernel hot-swap using Kexec, BProc and CC/SMP Clusters.
    So summarize:
    1) Run multiple kernels (minimally kernels A and B)
    2) Migrate processes from kernel A to kernel B
    3) Use kexec to replace kernel A once all processes have left.
    4) Repeat for all other kernels.

    On two simple machines working in tandem (The most common variation
    used for high availability this should be easy to do). And it is
    preferable to a reboot because of the additional control and speed.

    Thank you for the perspective. This looks like I line I can
    sell to get some official time to work on kexec and it's friends
    more actively.

    From what I have seen process migration/process check-pointing is
    currently the very rough area.

    The interesting thing becomes how do you measure system uptime.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.041 / U:11.236 seconds]