Subject2.4.21-rc6 ide-scsi bug?
Hi,

My system (athlon on an asus mb with via kt133 chipset) is currently
running 2.4.21-rc6 (but I had similar behaviour with 2.4.21-rc2-ac2),
and I map my ide cdrom to ide-scsi by passing option ide-cd ignore in
modules.conf (devfs is enabled, so that the modules load at /dev/cdrom
request).

Sometimes my cd drive (actually a mdma2 enabled combo dvd reader/cdrw
writer lg 4120B) seems to 'sleep' after a long time of inactivity and
waking it up (i.e. by trying to mount the unit) takes a time, so
eventually the system has to do a "soft" bus reset so that it comes to
life again (maybe it actually does that because the drive takes too long
to wake up by itself, but I don't know). If I use ide-cd instead of
ide-scsi, it happens as described and the system works ok (the kernel
prints dma disabled but if I enable it back it works fine), but with
ide-scsi, after the kernel prints that atapi reset and dma disabled
stuff, the system hangs. nothing else is printed, and my caps lock and
scroll lock keys starts blinking, so it seems to be a serious kernel
panic, but nothing about that is printed on the screen even when I'm at
console.

Older kernels i've tried (2.4.20 and 2.4.21-pre7) seems to behave ok.

I work around by using ide-cd until I need ide-scsi for something (like
tunning the rpc2 features on the drive to change region settings for dvd
playing), and replacing the driver by hand after making sure the drive
is ok, but that actually sucks :-)

Thanks in advance,

Alex

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.054 / U:0.908 seconds]