SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.21-rc6
On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 06:34:48AM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> The basic problem there is that any mail client needs to know
> just how many messages are in a particular folder to handle that
> folder, and the only way to do this is to count them all. That's
> what takes the time when one opens a large folder.

No, the basic problem there is that the kernel is deadlocking. Read the
VERY long thread for the details.

I think I have enough on the ball to be able to tell the difference between
mutt opening a folder and counting messages, with a counter and percentage
indicator advancing, and mutt sitting there deadlocked with the HD activity
light stuck on and all the rest of X stuck tight.

And it just happened again, so -rc6 is no sure fix. What did y'all that
reported the problem had gone away do, patch -rc4 with the akpm patches?
^_^

--
Marc Wilson | Fortune favors the lucky.
msw@cox.net |