    SubjectRe: request_firmware() hotplug interface, third round.
    On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 12:30:37PM +0200, Manuel Estrada Sainz wrote:
    > On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 07:07:05PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
    > > > > > >
    > [snip]
    > > > But in case you are doing things by hand, how about:
    > > >
    > > > $ echo cancel > .../loading
    > > >
    > > > or if you want to keep the content numeric:
    > > >
    > > > $ echo -1 > .../loading
    > > >
    > > > This will also allow the regular script to just cancel the load in case
    > > > of error, like if the firmware image is not available or a read error
    > > > happened while reading it.
    > > >
    > > > I'll implement that and the other stuff that came out of Oliver's
    > > > comments later today and post the new code.

    > > > If 'loading' stays the above should fix your timeout issue, and if it
    > > > goes, yes, that is probably the way to go.
    > >
    > > How about combining these two ideas: instead of "loading" and "data"
    > > we have "size" and "data". First you write the size, then the data -
    > > the driver accepts it once it gets the expected number of bytes.
    > > Writing a new size throws away any partial image that's there, and
    > > restarts the upload. Writing 0 cancels the upload entirely, and the
    > > driver will presumably fail to initialize (or maybe use a default
    > > image if it has one).
    >
    > I just thought this over. This makes more requirements for the userspace
    > scripts, they will need some way to get the size of the image: stat, or
    > ls and some crude regex.
    >
    > And we can have the same effect with loading/data:
    >
    > echo 1 > .../loading:
    > Will start a load, discarding any previous partial load.
    > echo 0 > .../loading:
    > Will conclude the load and handle the data to the driver code.
    > echo -1 > .../loading:
    > Will conclude the load with an error and the driver won't get
    > any firmware, failing or using firmware in some flash if
    > available.
    >
    > This way, the script also won't have to check the value of 'loading'.
    >
    > How does that sound?

    Hrm... it still seems a bit icky to me, but I'm not really sure why.
    I think it would be a bit better if you called it "control" or
    something instead of "loading". "loading" seems to imply a boolean,
    which this isn't anymore.

    --
    David Gibson | For every complex problem there is a
    david@gibson.dropbear.id.au | solution which is simple, neat and
    http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson