SubjectRe: recursive spinlocks. Shoot.
Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> Hey, that's not bad for a small change! 50% of potential programming
> errors sent to the dustbin without ever being encountered.

Then you replace errors with inefficiency - nobody discovers that
you needlessly take a lock twice. They notice OOPSes though, the
lock gurus can then debug it.

Trading performance for simplicity is ok in some cases, but I have a strong
felling this isn't one of them. Consider how people optimize locking
by shaving off a single cycle when they can, and try to avoid
locking as much as possible for that big smp scalability.

This is something better done right - people should just take the
trouble.

Helge Hafting

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans