   From: David Mosberger <>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:34:43 -0700

DaveM> I think Andrew is really suggesting to declare these two
DaveM> things in an arch header, so if one needs it to be a function
DaveM> pointer one can make it so.

I don't think this should be (purely) an arch thing. It's just as
much a driver issue. For example, HPET will pretty much work the same
on x86 and ia64, so being able to have a shared "driver" would be
useful. I agree though that it would be nice if arches that don't
care for time-interpolation at all could turn it off completely.
In the proposal below, an architecture could achieve that by turning

That's not the issue, if I have only ONE way to do this on my
platform, I can INLINE this thing and I DO NOT need function

I should have that option.