SubjectRE: recursive spinlocks. Shoot.
Date
Actually, it is safe to have the concurrent/race condition for the read of a
lock owner (outside the lock) and the write of a lock owner (inside the
lock) as long as the "current owner" value stored inside the lock is "sent
away" before the recursive lock is unlocked for the last time.

The owner value doesn't even have to be atomic (though it ought to be) The
only "hard" requirement is that there is no mid-update value that can ever
be somebody else. This requirement can be violated in some odd segmenting
systems if "me" is a pointer. If me is a machine-primitive scalar the
probability drops to nearly null that a partially written value can match
anybody else (on an x86 platform, you toss a bus-lock around the
assignment, which is what, I believe, the atomic type assignments do).

Since the logic reads "if not me then wait for lock else increment depth"
you only have to guard against false positives. That guard case is
accomplished by making sure you don't ever leave "yourself" in the owner
slot when you free up the lock.

So generically:

get_lock():
if owner==me
then
++depth;
else
wait on actual lock primitive
possibly_atomic_assign(owner = me)
depth = 1
fi

free_lock()
/* optional debug test */
if owner != me
then
oops()
fi
if depth > 1
then
--depth
else
depth = 0
possibly_atomic_assign(owner = nobody)
release actual lock primitive
fi

There needs must be a "nobody" (a well defined quasi-legal value that can
not occur in the legitimate set of owners, like -1 or NULL) assigned to the
owner item so that you cannot encounter your own id in the owner slot when
you don't actually have the lock primitive.

At several glances this structure seems odd and somehow vulnerable, but when
you consider that a thread is never actually competing with itself, you get
closure on the system. (that is, once you really internalize the fact that
the same thread can not be multiply entrant on both of these routines at the
same time, and you see that all other threads will do a proper wait on the
"real" primitive lock because of conditional exclusion (e.g. they are not
ever the owner at the time of the test, no matter how you update owner in
the sequence, if they are, in fact, not the owner of the lock.)

Hitting the read and write at the same time is not a "bang" because (if the
rest of the code is correct) the value being read, even if it is "trash"
because of a partial update, will not let the reader into the "is me" part
of the logic and the not-me branch is a wait for the "real" spinlock.
Again, you might want to use atomic_read() and atomic_set(), then again,
according to the headers you are only guaranteed 24 bits of atomic
protection anyway, so if the owner is a pointer, it probably won't help that
much.

The finer points include the fact that the depth and owner values are
actually protected values inside the domain of the real lock primitive.
They are just as safe as any other value protected by the lock. The
inequality test "outside" the lock is actually a microcosm of the
readers/writer kind of behavior. "Atomicizing" the owner value armors
against the possibility of CPU reading a half-written value that "happens"
to match the enquiring thread ID. But since the only transition that can
occur is from some existent owner to "nobody", or from "nobody" to the new
owner, a well chosen "nobody" can make the atomic assignment moot anyway.

I use this recursion layer all the time with posix mutex(es) in application
layer code where I don't actually have an atomic_t to begin with.

It is actually provable.

Rob.