SubjectRe: Test Patch: 2.5.69 Interrupt Latency

--On Friday, 16 May 2003 2:40 p.m. -0400 Alan Stern
<stern@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Not suspending isn't really a big deal. After all, we would suspend only
> when no devices are plugged in anyway. Is the PIIX4 chipset used in
> laptops, where the power saving might be important? That's the only
> reason I can think of for wanting to suspend whenever possible.

Yes, it has been used in laptops (some Gateway models, for instance), but I
suspect strangely broken configurations of this chip are more common than
laptops using it, and I don't expect the power saving to be that dramatic.
Those machines are pretty good for battery life anyway, considering the
high-end (for the time) configurations. (btw: I no longer have one)

Andrew