    SubjectRe: request_firmware() hotplug interface, third round.
    On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:36:24PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:03:24PM +0200, Manuel Estrada Sainz wrote:
    > > Attached:
    > > firmware.h
    > > firmware_class.c:
    > > The firmware support itself.
    > Can you just send this as a patch to the current kernel next time? It's
    > much easier to read and test with that way :)

    When I updated my tree (via bk cvs gateway) to make the patch I noticed
    some changes in sysfs's binary support.

    In general, they look good, but the size of files is set in
    sysfs_create_bin_file and not changeable later. This breaks
    firmware_class.c :(

    With current request_firmware(), the drivers don't tell the size of the
    firmware, and in some cases they don't even know, so changing the
    interface is no good.

    I also don't understand why sysfs needs to keep a copy of the data in
    it's own buffer. It has to ask the driver for any read/write anyway,
    the previous approach of one page at a time looked better to me and
    saves some kernel memory :-).

    And the size checks could be skipped in case of zero size.

    I'll include a change proposal to sysfs/bin.c next time.

    Have a nice day

    --- Manuel Estrada Sainz <>