SubjectRe: request_firmware() hotplug interface, third round.
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:36:24PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:03:24PM +0200, Manuel Estrada Sainz wrote:
> > Attached:
> > firmware.h
> > firmware_class.c:
> > The firmware support itself.
> Can you just send this as a patch to the current kernel next time? It's
> much easier to read and test with that way :)

When I updated my tree (via bk cvs gateway) to make the patch I noticed
some changes in sysfs's binary support.

In general, they look good, but the size of files is set in
sysfs_create_bin_file and not changeable later. This breaks
firmware_class.c :(

With current request_firmware(), the drivers don't tell the size of the
firmware, and in some cases they don't even know, so changing the
interface is no good.

I also don't understand why sysfs needs to keep a copy of the data in
it's own buffer. It has to ask the driver for any read/write anyway,
the previous approach of one page at a time looked better to me and
saves some kernel memory :-).

And the size checks could be skipped in case of zero size.

I'll include a change proposal to sysfs/bin.c next time.

Have a nice day

--- Manuel Estrada Sainz <>