SubjectRe: request_firmware() hotplug interface, third round.
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:07:31AM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > How it works:
> > - Driver calls request_firmware()
> > - 'hotplug firmware' gets called with ACCTION=add
> > - /sysfs/class/firmware/dev_name/{data,loading} show up.
> >
> > - echo 1 > /sysfs/class/firmware/dev_name/loading
> > - cat whatever_fw > /sysfs/class/firmware/dev_name/data
> > - echo 0 > /sysfs/class/firmware/dev_name/loading
> >
> > - The call to request_firmware() returns with the firmware in a
> > memory buffer and the driver can finish loading.
> > - Driver loads the firmware.
> > - Driver calls release_firmware().
>
> So, if I understand you correctly, RAM is only saved if a device
> is hotpluggable and needs firmware only upon intial connection.
> Which, if you do suspend to disk correctly, is no device.

Hotpluggability is not required, it is the same for any module, which
gets loaded while the system is running. Drivers don't even need to be
aware of hotplug.

And adding some kind of persistence in the mixture so firmware can be
included in the kernel image and later discarded/reconsidered even
in-kernel drivers (meaning non modules) can benefit. Coordinating with
initramfs as Pavel suggested should bring best results in this case.

Also, the hotplug event happens every time you call request_firmware(),
not just on device load or upon initial connection. It is not the
regular "device plug event" it is an special 'firmware' event. For
example, on usb devices you would get two invocations of hotplug, one
'hotplug usb' and one 'hotplug firmware'.

In the case of suspending to disk, you would have to make sure that the
firmware for the device that holds the rest of the firmware is already
in fwfs or whatever persistence method gets finally implemented.

> And do I understand you correctly, you propose that request_firmware()
> wait for the hotplug script to write the firmware to sysfs?

Yes.

> That means that request_firmware() is unusuable from the usual
> probe() methods.

At least usb's probe() can sleep, but that is a good point. How about:

int request_firmware_nowait (
const char *name, const char *device, void *context,
void (*cont)(const struct firmware *fw, void context)
);

Then you can call request_firmware_nowait providing an appropriate
'cont' callback and 'context' pointer. Then when your callback gets
called with the firmware you finish device setup.

> You cannot kill a part of the kernel if a script fails to perform
> correctly for some reason.

Good point. Since it is easily solvable by hand:

echo 1 > /sysfs/class/firmware/dev_name/loading
echo 0 > /sysfs/class/firmware/dev_name/loading

I thought that it was OK. (I'll do the timeout)

> Even worse, you cannot detect the script terminating abnormally in
> that design.

Well, the device model doesn't provide that information :(

It would be great if it did.

Would a patch to wait for hotplug termination and provide termination
status be accepted?

Adding an 'struct completion' and 'int status' to the right place
should be just about it.

> You'd have to introduce some arbitrary timeout.

OK, I'll do that for now.

> It seems to me that you introduce three new problems to get rid of
> one old problem.

This is the kind of feedback I wanted, thanks a lot.

Let's see if I can remove all four problems now :)

--
--- Manuel Estrada Sainz <ranty@debian.org>
<ranty@bigfoot.com>