SubjectRe: 2.5 kernels fail to start second CPU
On Thu, 15 May 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:21:10PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > While you are (somewhat) on the topic of starting processors, I want to
> > benchmark and application on a dual Xeon system. I want to try these
> > configurations, preferably without opening the box, since it's in
> > another time zone.
> > 2 cpu w/ ht normal boot
> > 2 cpu w/o ht noht
> > 1 cpu w/o ht nosmp noht
> > 1 cpu w/ ht ???
> > It looks as if maxcpus=2 counts physical units? I can't try it until Monday.
>
> What on earth are you getting on about?

I want to benchmark the box using one or two CPUs, with and without
hyperthreading, as listed in the configurations above. To do this I want
to use the boot options also listed in the original post above. I can
reboot the box remotely but I can't physically remove a cpu to get the
single cpu+ht config, so I'm looking for boot line options to provide
that.

> ia32 is utter crap with respect to power management, virtualization,
> and generalized firmware.
>
> If you don't have remote power management, buy it in whatever form
> possible.

I'm not trying to manage the power, it's not a laptop, I'm trying to run
benchmarks as noted in the first sentence of my question. I don't see
how you got from there to virtualization from how to start (or not) cpus.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc