SubjectRe: The disappearing sys_call_table export.
On Thu, 15 May 2003, Chris Ricker wrote:

> On Thu, 15 May 2003, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > > You don't have to do that. Richard is mis-informed. Any of the following
> > > still work on Red Hat Linux 9:
> > >
> > > init=/bin/bash # drops you straight to a bash shell
> > > init 1 # runs runlevel 1 SysV init scripts and rc.sysinit
> > > init single # runs rc.sysinit, but not runlevel 1
> > > init emergency # runs a shell
> > >
> > > all without going to rescue media.
> > >

> > Bullshit. Try it.
>
> I just did. It works.
>
> If it's not working for you, it's because *you* did something (like, say,
> password your boot loader). By default, it's still possible on Red Hat Linux
> 9 out of the box.
>
> later,
> chris
> -

Sill bullshit. I did nothing except to try to help a neighbor
who got locked out of her machine. I spent most of Saturday
and all of Sunday trying to break in. The LILO command prompt
readily took "parameters". However, any parameter passed on
the command-line resulted in a try-to-kill init error. Her
machine uses an Adaptec SCSI controller which needs to be
loaded via initrd to make the root file-system available.

I tried Red-Hat 8.0 here at work. It works as you described.
There is no problem with it and LILO and initrd. However
Red Hat 9/Professional does not allow break-in, at least on
the machine tested...and I have several pissed off witnesses.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.040 / U:0.204 seconds]