SubjectRe: The disappearing sys_call_table export.
Chris Siebenmann wrote:

> | The people who used to require that still have lists of approved
> | operating systems. Linux is not on that list.
>
> To be blunt: and?
> Linux is not and never will be all things to all people. (Some of that
> can be seen in the ongoing discussions over, eg, LSM.)
> There are many features that have far too small a target market to be
> of interest in mainline Unix.

Large organizations like to standardize things wherever possible.

Given an OS that is well suited for a fairly secure environment
that also runs widely-available office software, they will adopt it
for both uses, thus locking out other operating systems.

Many of these decisions are made by Dumb White Guys sitting around
a boardroom table looking at feature lists, and pushed by even dumber
3-letter consulting firms whose technical representatives say things
like "Yes, we will be decrypting all SSL sessions at the firewall to
check for viruses."

So I think Linux needs these 'fringe' features if it's going to
continue to expand its user base in the face of such stupidity.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.033 / U:1.104 seconds]