    SubjectRe: bug on shutdown from 68-mm4 (machine_power_off returning causes problems)
    "Martin J. Bligh" <> writes:

    > >> Yup, backing out kexec fixes it.
    > >

    > > Ok. Thinking it through the differences is that I have machine_power_off
    > > call stop_apics (which is roughly equivalent to the old smp_send_stop).
    > Mmmm. Not sure NUMA-Q will like disconnect_bsp_APIC() much, but I guess
    > that's my problem, not yours ;-) I can't do init 6 at the moment, so I'm
    > walking on thin ice as is ... if I have to fix a couple of things up for
    > NUMA-Q, that's no problem.

    Ah ok. This could explain some of your problems with kexec if you
    can't even reboot the box....

    > > In the kexec patch that does 2 things.
    > > 1) It shuts down the secondary cpus, and returns the bootstrap cpu to
    > > virtual wire mode.
    > > 2) It calls set_cpus_allowed to force the reboot to be on the primary
    > > cpu.
    > >
    > > After returning from machine_power_off. We run into a problem
    > > in flush_tlb_mm. Because we have a cpu disabled, that is still part
    > > of the mm's vm mask.
    > OK ... I presume that's just because you shut down the secondaries then.
    > If so ... shouldn't it remove them from the relevant vm mask when it
    > offlines them? (probably not your code, but still)

    Right. The code is more about shutting down the secondaries then off
    lining them. In a general purpose scenario I expect more would need
    to happen.

    > > Does anyone know why machine_halt, and machine_power_off return?
    > Nope, thats ... odd ;-)

    That is what I thought.

    I have sent the fixed patches to Andrew and CC'd the list so we will
    see what develops.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.053 / U:3.404 seconds]