    SubjectRe: ioctl32: kill code duplication (sparc64 tester wanted)

    > > > What's the reason you can't build fs/compat_ioctl.c normally and pull
    > > > in the arch magic through a magic asm/ header?
    > >
    > > Some architectures need special stuff (mtrr's), so I'd have to include
    > > .c files, too (the other way). [Look at how the table of ioctls is
    > > generated, its asm magic].
    > Shouldn't that special stuff move to the dynamic ioctl handler
    > registration method or the new ->compat_ioctl?

    Davem probably would not like bloat
    resulting from that (There's a lot of
    arch specific stuff out there). Agreed it
    would be nice to do that, but I feel
    we need to make small steps.

    > > Are you asking why are there #includes in compat_ioctl.c? Its because
    > > there is so many of them, and having to update all archs when you
    > > tuoch fs/compat_ioctl.c would be bad.
    > I'm asking for the #ifdef INCLUDES in fs/compat_ioctl.c. Why do you
    > need it instead of including the headers uncondtionally?

    Because I'm including compat_ioctl.c from few places.
    Horseback riding is like software...
    ...vgf orggre jura vgf serr.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.020 / U:16.244 seconds]