SubjectRe: Kernel source tree splitting
>>> So there are many edits that needed to be done in lots of
>>> Kconfig and Makefiles if one selectively pulls or omits certain
>>> sub-directories.
>>
>> Indeed, I ran across the same thing a while back. Would be *really* nice
>> to fix, if only so some poor sod over a modem can download a smaller
>> tarball, or save some diskspace.
>
> I have seven source trees on disk right now. Getting rid off all
> the archs but i386 would not only save tons of space, it would also
> make 'grep -r' go faster and stop spewing irrelevant hits for archs
> that I couldn't care less about.

Indeed. But whilst you're waiting, hardlink everything together, and
patch the differences (patch knows how to break hardlinks). Make a
script that cp -lR's the tree to another copy (normally takes < 1s), and
then remove the other arches. grep that.

cscope with prebuilt indeces on a filtered subset of the files may well do
better than grep, depending on exactly what you're doing (does 99% of it
for me). Don't use the cscope in Debian Woody, it's broken.

M.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.176 / U:1.072 seconds]