    SubjectRe: kernel support for non-english user messages
    Date
    In article <3E93A958.80107@si.rr.com>, Frank Davis  <fdavis@si.rr.com> wrote:

    >I wish to suggest a possible 2.6 or 2.7 feature (too late for 2.4.x and
    >2.5.x, I believe) that I believe would be helpful. Currently, printk
    >messages are all in english, and I was wondering if printk could be
    >modified to print out user messages that are in the default language of
    >the machine. For example,

    This has come up before.

    The answer is: go ahead and do it, but don't do it in the kernel. Do it
    in klogd or similar.

    I refuse to clutter the kernel with inane and fragile (and totally
    unmaintainable) internationalization code. The string lookup can equally
    well be done in user space where it isn't a stability and complexity
    issue.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.021 / U:30.140 seconds]