SubjectRe: 64-bit kdev_t - just for playing
the biggest problem I see with dynamic numbers is that it needs a
userspace devfs type solution for creating and maintaining the device
nodes that are then used. While this isn't rocket science it's also
somthing that is hard to get people to agree to (remember the devfs names
that everyone gripes about are not what richard started with it's what he
switched to to get things into the kernel, they changed many times during
that process)

I don't think many people will argue that dynamic assignments are evil,
but I think you will find a lot of people very nervous about switching to
them and the risk involved with doing so.

David Lang