    SubjectRe: [patch] printk subsystems

    >> Basically, each printk is assigned to a subsystem and that
    >> subsystem has the same set of values that the console_printk array
    >> has. The difference is that the console_printk loglevel decides if
    >> the message goes to the console whereas the subsystem loglevel
    >> decides if that message goes to the log at all.

    Pavel> Well, I consider this stop gap too... Right solution is to kill
    Pavel> printk()s from too verbose part so that it does not
    Pavel> overflow....

    Hi Pavel,

    Killing the printk's means they are not around if you have an end user
    who is running into problems at boot time. Having a feature like this
    means they can default to 'off' then if a problem arises, whoever is
    doing the support can ask the user to try and enable printk's for say
    SCSI and get the input, without haven to rebuild the kernel from
    scratch.

    For people supporting large numbers of users (like all the
    distributions) this seems like a good win to me.

    Cheers,
    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.060 / U:1.144 seconds]