    SubjectRe: An idea for prefetching swapped memory...
    Helge Hafting wrote:
    > Thomas Schlichter wrote:
    >> What I wanted to say is that if there is free memory it should be
    >> filled with
    >> the pages that were in use before the memory got rare. And these are
    >> the pages
    >> swapped out last.

    > "What we're going to need soon" is the best. It isn't always predictable,
    > but sometimes. "The block following the last we read from some
    > file/fs-structure"
    > is often a good one though.

    With the current setup though, the memory is wasted. It makes sense that we
    should fill the memory up with *something* that is likely to be useful.

    If I have mozilla open, start a kernel compile, and then come back half an hour
    later, I would like to see the mozilla pages speculatively loaded back into memory.

    Since the system is otherwise idle, it doesn't cost anything to do this. I
    think its obvious that it is beneficial to swap in something, the only trick is
    getting a decent heuristic as to what it should be.

    Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
    Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557
    3500 Carling Avenue | fax: (613) 765-2986
    Nepean, ON K2H 8E9 Canada | email:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.033 / U:56.384 seconds]