    SubjectRe: SET_MODULE_OWNER?
    Date
    In message <3E91C398.9070400@pobox.com> you write:
    > Rusty Russell wrote:
    > > I thought it was completely useless, hence deprecated.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any reason to defend it?
    >

    > It's used to allow source compatibility with all kernels, old or new.
    >
    > Thus it is in active use, and should not be removed.

    Inside individual drivers, or a set of compat macros, it makes sense.
    But as a general module.h primitive it doesn't.

    Imagine a structure adds an owner field in 2.5. This macro doesn't
    help you, you need a specific compat macro for that struct.

    ie. AFAICT it only buys you 2.2 compatibility, and even then only if
    you #define it at the top of your driver.

    I still don't understand: please demonstrate a use in existing source.
    Rusty.