    SubjectRe: Bug in linux kernel when playing DVDs.
    On 29 April 2003 14:11, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
    > >See? Sector # is increasing... Linux retries the read several times,
    > >then reports EIO to userspace and goes to next sectors.
    > > Unfortunately, they are bad too, so the loop repeats. Eventually it
    > > will pass by all bad sectors (if not, it's a bug) but it can take
    > > longish time.
    > >
    > >Apart of making max retry # settable by the user, I don't see how
    > >this can be made better. Pity. This is common problem on CDs...
    > What is this EIO report. The CPU is never returned to user space
    > apps, so the app never sees any error.

    Are you sure that CPU never returned to the app?
    (strace is your friend...)

    > As for retries, for DVD playing we do not want the Linux kernel to do
    > any retries, because during DVD playback, we just want a very quick
    > response saying there was an error.

    Kernel is not yet telepathic.

    > The DVD playing application can
    > then skip forward 0.5 seconds and continue. If one sector fails on a
    > DVD, there is little or not point in reading the next sector. One has
    > to start reading from the next VOBU. (i.e. about 0.5 seconds skip.)

    You need a way to tell kernel that you want such behavior.
    "skip 0.5 sec on error" requirement is rather hard
    to describe to the kernel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.019 / U:0.112 seconds]