    SubjectRe: must-fix list for 2.6.0
    Rick Lindsley <ricklind@us.ibm.com> wrote:

    > Why is this bad?
    > (a) if it does busy looping through sched_yield it will eat cycles which
    > might not have happened

    Things like OpenOffice _do_ busy loop on sched_yield(). It appears with
    that patch, OO will sit there chewing ~1% of CPU. Not great, but not bad
    either..

    A few kernels ago, OpenOffice would take sixty seconds to just flop down a
    menu if there was a kernel build happening at the same time. That is just
    utterly broken, so if we're going to leave the sched.c code as-is then we
    *require* that all applications be updated to not spin on sched_yield.

    There's just no question about that. It may end up not being acceptable.

    Has anyone looked at what Andrea did in -aa? I assume some suitable
    compromise was achieved there.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.022 / U:60.824 seconds]