    SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!

    Linus,

    There is one fundamental problem, and nobody has addressed.

    Who will enforce the GPL over DRM violations?
    Since it is a blanket over the entire kernel, and you have formally
    (for the most part) have authorized DRM, thus one assumes you are the only
    one who can pursue in a court of law.

    Regardless of what I or anyone thinks, this effective places total
    copyright to you. Additionally for you to have a legal position to stand
    on, it may be required for one to show you have total authority/assignment
    of the entire kernel.

    This is only an old man thinking out loud.

    Cheers,

    Andre Hedrick
    LAD Storage Consulting Group

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.0304261459210.10838-100000@vervain.sonytel.be>,
    > Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
    > >
    > >Hence the development rate of Linux will go down, since you cannot use your
    > >Linux development box running your own development kernel for anything else,
    > >since that would require a signed kernel.
    >
    > Quite frankly, I suspect a much more likely issue is going to be that
    > DRM doesn't matter at all in the long run.
    >
    > Maybe I'm just a blue-eyed optimist, but all the _bad_ forms of DRM look
    > to be just fundamentally doomed. They are all designed to screw over
    > customers and normal users, and in the world I live in that's not how
    > you make friends (or money, which ends up being a lot more relevant to
    > most companies).
    >
    > Think about it. Successful companies give their customers what they
    > _want_. They don't force-feed them. Look at the total and utter
    > failure of commercial on-line music: the DRM things that has been tried
    > have been complete failures. Why? I'm personally convinced the cost is
    > only a minor issue - the _anti_convenience of the DRM crap (magic file
    > formats that only work with some players etc) is what really kills it in
    > the end.
    >
    > And that's a fundamental flaw in any "bad" DRM. It's not going away.
    >
    > We've seen this before. Remember when dongles were plentiful in the
    > software world? People literally had problems with having dongles on top
    > of dongles to run a few programs. They all died out, simply because
    > consumers _hate_ that kind of lock-in thing.
    >
    > This is part of the reason why I have no trouble with DRM - let the
    > people who want to try it go right ahead. They'll only screw themselves
    > over in the end, because the people who do _not_ try to control their
    > customers will in the end have the superior product. It's that simple.
    >
    > As to the quake-on-PC issue - it's a completely made-up example, but it
    > does show the same thing. Nobody in their right mind would ever _do_ a
    > DRM-enabled quake on a PC, because it limits you too much. PC's are
    > _designed_ ot be flexible - that's what makes the PC's. DRM on a PC is
    > a totally braindead idea, and I _hope_ Microsoft goes down that path
    > because it will kill them in the end.
    >
    > The place where client authentication makes sense is on specialty boxes.
    > On a dedicated game machine it's an _advantage_ to verify the client,
    > exactly to make sure that nobody is cheating. I think products like the
    > PS2 and the Xbox actually make _sense_ - they make it convenient for the
    > user, and yes they use DRM techniques to "remove rights", but that's
    > very much by design and when you buy the box 99.9% of all people buy it
    > _because_ it only does one thing.
    >
    > Linus
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.026 / U:91.528 seconds]