    SubjectRe: [RFD] Combined fork-exec syscall.

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Werner Almesberger wrote:

    > How about
    >
    > fdrplc(3,fmap);
    > exec("/bin/cat",...);

    Not a bad idea. Although my initial motives were to try and reduce the
    number of syscalls for forking processes, I can see this as kind of a
    useful call as well.

    > 0) System call names must be short and cryptic :-)

    Heh. How about something like fdmap_set()?

    > 1) Requiring the kernel to iterate over the array element by element
    > in order to find out how big it is may be inefficient. Better to
    > pass the length.

    Good point. Just a quick verify_area() check and then process away.

    > 2) System call overhead is marginal, particularly in this case.

    Depends. I know that on the one multi-user Linux machine I do use on a
    day-to-day basis syscall overhead is painful:

    Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 16.59 BogoMIPS

    and considering this is a multi-user machine with quite a few users always
    tapping away doing quick commands (edit this file, run this program, copy
    this file, ...).

    > 3) There may be other uses than exec(2), where a way for closeing
    > all fds and getting a new set may be useful.

    Agreed.

    L8r,
    Mark G.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:3.194 / U:0.256 seconds]