SubjectRe: Re: Swap Compression
  Hello,

Unfortunately, I've missed the beginning of this discussion, but it
seems you're trying to do almost exactly what the "Compressed Cache"
project set out to do:

http://linuxcompressed.sourceforge.net/

_Please_ take a look at it. Rodrigo de Castro (the author) spent a
_lot_ of time working out the issues and corner details which a system
like this entail. I've been also involved in the project, even if not
actively coding, but giving suggestions and helping out when time
permitted. This project has been the core of his Master's
dissertation, which he has just finished writting recently, and will
soon defend.

It would be foolish (IMHO) to start from scratch. Take a look at the
web site. There is a nice sketch of the degin he has chosen here:

http://linuxcompressed.sourceforge.net/design/

Scott Kaplan, a researcher interested in compression of memory, has
also helped a bit. This article is something definitely worth reading,
and was one of Rodrigo's "starting point":

http://www.cs.amherst.edu/~sfkaplan/papers/compressed-caching.ps.gz

(There are other relevant sources available on the web page).

Rodrigo has also written a paper about his compressed caching which
has much more up-to-date information than the web page. His newest
benchmarks of the newest compressed cache version shows better
improvements then the numbers on the web page too. I'll ask him to put
it somewhere public, if he's willing.

Jörn Engel writes:
> On Sun, 27 April 2003 14:31:25 -0400, rmoser wrote:

[...]

> Another thing: Did you look at the links John Bradford gave yet? It
> doesn't hurt to try something alone first, but once you have a good
> idea about what the problem is and how you would solve it, look for
> existing code.

I think the compressed cache project is the one John mentioned.

> Most times, someone else already had the same idea and the same
> general solution. Good, less work. Sometimes you were stupid and the
> existing solution is much better. Good to know. And on very rare
> occasions, your solution is better, at least in some details.
>
> Well, in this case, the sourceforge project appears to be silent since
> half a year or so, whatever that means.

It means Rodrigo has been busy writting his dissertation, and, most
recently, looking for a job :-) I've talked to him recently, and he
intends to continue on with the project, as he might have some time to
devote to it.

On a side note, though, one thing that has still not been explored
is compressed _swap_. Since the project's focus has been performance
gains, and it was not clear from the beginning that compressing swap
actually results in performance gains, it still has not been
implemented. That said, this *is* on the project's to-study list.

Hope this helps,

--
Livio B. Soares