SubjectRe: ChangeLog suggestion
Date
> > The changelogs are generated by BitKeeper - couldn't we simply include
> > a link that will let anybody[1] access the relevant changesets?
>
> Well, yes, the changelogs are generated by BitKeeper, but what gets fed
> into bitkeeper is controlled by some scripts I wrote, which are the ones
> that take the email and munge it into a readable format etc. So by the
> time the thing hits my BK repository, the email headers will all have been
> thrown away, except for "From: " and "Subject: ". So BK never sees the
> full email.
>
> (Even my scripts don't see the full email a large percentage of the time:
> I end up prettifying the emails for actual application by first removing
> things like "Hi Linus, please apply this" etc which are pointless in the
> changelog).

Oh, I wasn't suggesting trying to preserve a link to the E-Mail via
the scripts->BK chain.

What I was thinking of was each time you import a patchset from a
[mail | set of mails], BK makes that in to a changeset, which can't be
referenced directy in the changelog, because the changeset's id can
change in the future. Is there no way that BK can generate a
reference to the HTTP interface to bkbits that will remain constant,
and can therefore be included in the changelog, (as an URL to retrieve
a patch from). Even if the patch can't be applied to any particular
tree, it's still something that can be refered to in a mail to LKML,
or similar.

John.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:1.294 / U:0.024 seconds]