    SubjectRe: versioned filesystems in linux (was Re: kernel support for non-english user messages)
    Stewart Smith wrote:

    > On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 06:36 AM, John Bradford wrote:
    >
    >> When are we going to see versioned filesystems in Linux? That was a
    >> standard feature in VMS.
    >

    > This is (part of) what I'm doing for my honors project this year - so
    > possibly something (might) be around and (almost) working by the end
    > of the year. The real big trick is remote efficiency - but what's the
    > fun of research if there isn't something tricky?
    >
    > If people are actually really interested in it, I might make it a bit
    > more of a focus :)
    >
    > More info avail on request :)

    It would be nice to see what assistance the FreeVMS group may be able to
    offer. It appears that they are attempting to make an operating system
    compatible with VMS based on the Linux kernel.

    From what I have observed, a few of them seem to have extensive
    experience with VMS and may be able to offer at least some baseline
    knowledge as to how VMS accomplishes this.

    My curiosity lies with the ability to run FreeVMS on VAX....

    (Why not? It's just a hobby....)

    - Matt

    --

    Matthew Sell

    Join the Metrology Software Discussion List METLIST!
    www.ontimesupport.com/subscribe_t&c.html

    AIX - Linux - NetBSD - OpenVMS - Solaris

    Expand Your Horizons - Stop Looking Through Windows

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:5.657 / U:0.024 seconds]