    SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    [a message which I found quite surreal]

    I felt as though I were reading on of those April 1st fake Linus emails.
    But my sleep cycle is so screwed everything feels like that today :)

    I don't mind if commodity hardware becomes DRM-locked, like the X-box,
    so long as it remains legal to develop alternative hardware. 20 years
    ago it would have been a real problem, but I think we have access to
    enough computing and communications resource today that we could
    actually develop alternate hardware if needed - if there enough
    motivation.

    Not there will ever be a need - see how virtually all the DVD players
    you can buy have "play any region" back doors. If there were lots of
    manufacturers of things like the X-box (as you'd expect for a 2006
    PC), expect to see some of them putting DRM-disabler back doors in.

    The scary part is when it becomes illegal to use those back doors, or
    (much worse IMHO) illegal to make your own equipment.

    [Oh, I see that has already begun. Shit!]

    On a related note, it's World Intellectual Property Day this Saturday:

    http://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/index.html?wipo_content_frame=/about-ip/en/world_ip/2003/index.htm

    [Personally I find WIPO's cute fluffy leaflets about protecting the
    small inventor from the big sharks rather creepy. They start with
    generalities about one-man designers in poorest Africa, and how they
    can protect their designs from being ripped off. Then lead to
    examples of where this has worked, and the inventors in the examples
    are all huge companies with familiar names, the very companies I see
    as big sharks. Ah well.]

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.020 / U:0.324 seconds]