SubjectRe: How did the Spelling Police miss this one?

Herman Oosthuysen wrote:

> This is getting funnier by the day!
>
> Even the word 'normal' is a religious term. It literally means to be
> a good Christian - a Gentleman. Christian seminaries are 'Normal
> Schools' and have 'Normal Classes'. Yes, there was a time when I was
> forced to attend 'Normal Class' - it didn't help - I became a heathen...
>
> Maybe we should switch to Zen Buddist terminology instead, it is less
> violent.
>
> For what it is worth, I grew up with the software term 'normalize'.
> 'Canonize' seems a bit too strong for my tase.

I hope we're not being too bothersome by straying so far off topic.....

Anyhow, I see it all as metaphor. I used to be concerned about such
things, but I find it easiest to just use whatever term best represents
what I'm trying to say, even if there's some religious connotation that
makes me uneasy. I only avoid the words that would get me beat up.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.054 / U:0.620 seconds]