    SubjectRe: Flame Linus to a crisp!
    Ever notice Linus has a very distinct writing style? _under_scores_
    and: colons. (Underscored colons sound ouchy!)
    Signatures
    after three tabs...

    He has very clear and logic oriented writing style, yet unique somehow.
    You can almost here him talk when you read a _Linus_ message.

    There's only one Linus: Let's keep it that way! Let's sign him with gpg
    and take measures so that he _only_ operates in _good_ mode on DRM
    enabled LKML.

    Shawn

    On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 01:16, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Andre Hedrick wrote:
    > >
    > > Now the digital signing issue as a means to protect possible embedded or
    > > distribution environments is needed. DRM cuts two ways and do not forget
    > > it!
    >
    > This is _the_ most important part to remember.
    >
    > Security is a two-edged sword. It can be used _for_ you, and it can be
    > used _against_ you. A fence keeps the bad guys out, but by implication the
    > bad guys can use it to keep _you_ out, too.
    >
    > The technology itself is pretty neutral, and I'm personally pretty
    > optimistic that _especially_ in an open-source environment we will find
    > that most of the actual effort is going to be going into making security
    > be a _pro_consumer_ thing. Security for the user, not to screw the user.
    >
    > Put another way: I'd rather embrace it for the positive things it can do
    > for us, than have _others_ embrace it for the things it can do for them.
    >
    > > For those not aware, each and every kernel you download from K.O is DRM
    > > signed as a means to authenticate purity.
    >
    > Yup. And pretty much every official .rpm or .deb package (source and
    > binary) is already signed by the company that made that package, for
    > _your_ protection. This is already "accepted practice", so allowing
    > signing is not something new per se, including on a binary level.
    >
    > So what I hope this discussion brings as news is to make people aware of
    > it. And that very much includes making people aware of the fact that there
    > are some scary sides to signing stuff - and that they're par for the
    > course, and part of the package. I know for a fact that a number of
    > people were hoping for the upsides without any of the downsides. That's
    > not how it works.
    >
    > Linus
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.023 / U:31.944 seconds]