    SubjectRe: Fix SWSUSP & !SWAP
    Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > > > No, ext3 will be "unclean" during resume (you can't really unmount it
    > > > during suspend!) and r-o mounting of ext3 will replay journal and
    > > > cause data corruption.
    > >
    > > Sorry, I still don't get it. Go through the steps for me:
    > >
    > > 1) suspend writes pages to disk
    > >
    > > 2) machine is shutdown
    > >
    > > 3) restart, journal replay
    > >
    > > 4) resume reads pages from disk.
    >
    > And now you have kernel which expects data still in journal (that was
    > state before suspend), but reality on disk is quite different (journal
    > was replayed). Data corruption.

    swapfiles are not journalled - the swap a_ops write direct to the swapfile's
    blocks with submit_bio(). Journal replay wouldn't touch the swapfile.

    I can see that locating the swapfile for the resume-time swapon could be a
    problem, but the corruption thing still escapes me.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.021 / U:34.692 seconds]