SubjectRe: Can one build 2.5.68 with allyesconfig?
On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 13:48, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Wed, 23 April 2003 12:52:41 -0700, John Cherry wrote:
> >
> > As mentioned in other mail, compile statistics for the latest 2.5
> > kernels are at:
> >
> > However, these statistics are based on defconfig and allmodconfig builds
> > (not allyesconfig). The allmodconfig build contains the riscom8 errors
> > that you have observed as well as most other warnings/errors you would
> > find in an allyesconfig build.
> Do you have any form of automation when dealing with breaking drivers?
> If I could reduce the necessary time for creating a working
> allyesconfig, that would be quite nice.

No. I think Randy Dunlap replied earlier that he spent considerable
time weeding out broken drivers from an allyesconfig configuration.
This still did not result in a bootable image.

If you want to build with allyesconfig and continue on when you run into
errors, just use the -k (keep going) option with make.

> Allyesconfig has a couple of advantages. The analysis of object files
> is must simpler with just vmlinux to worry about. And some errors
> don't show up until link time, not sure if you can catch all of them
> with allmodconfig.

Feel free to hack on the script to produce compilation
results that would benefit what you are doing. It lives on the
stability page.