    SubjectRe: Fix SWSUSP & !SWAP

    On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 08:36, Marc Giger wrote:
    > Ok! I see the advantages / disadvantages of each version. But what
    > happens if the memory AND swap space are full and nothing can't be
    > freed? When I watch the memory and swap consumption on my laptop, I
    > think it's the most time the case...

    If you're getting yourself in that situation, you should be increasing
    your swap space (and memory if possible) anyway.

    > Another question:
    > Is it a big problem to save the memory in a separate file on the file
    > system, and save somewhere the pointer to it (as example in swap. Also
    > we could set a flag in swap so that we now that the last shutdown was
    > a hybernation). One Problem will be, that we don't know the filesystem
    > type on resume...(We could save the module in swap...)
    > All that is just theoretical. It's only a idea.

    I guess the simplest answer is would it be worth the pain? Since disk
    space is cheap, it just requires a little forethought when installing
    Linux, to ensure enough swap is allocated. I certainly understand that
    using a file rather than swap makes adjusting the amount of space
    available easier, but as you rightly acknowledge, it does complicate
    things a fair bit more.

    Nigel Cunningham
    495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

    Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does
    not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth.
    -- 2 Timothy 2:14, NASB.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:34    [W:0.027 / U:4.084 seconds]